COHEED AND CAMBRIA TO SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC, ANNOUNCE ‘OPENING ACT CONTEST’ FOR OCTOBER DATES IN US AND CANADA
TOUR GOES ON SALE TOMORROW AUGUST 2OTH AT 10AM
Indie Prog-rockers Coheed and Cambria, citing their desire to support local music, announced today a contest to pick a local “opener” for each date along the 16-city U.S. and Canadian tour this October. The contest will take place on the band’s official Facebook Page, www.facebook.com/coheedandcambria
Coheed vocalist Claudio Sanchez explained, “When we first started touring, local bands were a very important part of the process. Almost every tour had local openers on each show, but now it’s much more common to have a set national package of bands touring through all the cities. While that can be easier at times, it makes it tough on local bands, and local scenes haven’t flourished like they once did. Hopefully this helps bring awareness to some good up and coming music.”
Bands and artists wishing to enter should go to Coheed and Cambria’s Facebook Event Pages http://bit.ly/coheedevents and post a link to their music as a comment on the show they are eligible for. Next, they will need to get friends and fans to vote by “liking” their link.
Coheed and Cambria will select a winner out of the top 3 “liked” bands in each market.
Additionally, Fang Island will be joining the band on this leg of the tour as direct support on all dates (except Boise and Missoula). Their progressive, experimental power-pop sound has garnered the attention of Pitchfork Media, along with indie rock subculture supporters alike.
Coheed and Cambria continue to tour in support of Year of the Black Rainbow, their 5th studio album, which debuted at #5 on the Billboard Top 200, their highest debut to date.
Tickets go on sale for most shows this Friday, August 20, but there is a special one-day fanclub presale today at http://tixx1.artistarena.com/coheedfans/.
Check the event pages for detailed information.
Coheed and Cambria is Claudio Sanchez, Travis Stever , Mic Todd, and Chris Pennie.
Coheed And Cambria Eligible Dates for Opening Act Contest (Fang Island Direct Support):
Sunday, October 10, Milwaukee, The Rave
Monday, October 11, Omaha, Sokol Auditorium
Tuesday, October 12, Fargo, The Venue at Playmaker’s
Thursday, October 14, Billings, Babcock Theatre
Friday, October 15, Boise, Knitting Factory
Saturday, October 16, Missoula, Wilma Theater
Sunday, October 17, Spokane, Knitting Factory
Monday, October 18, Vancouver, Commodore Ballroom
Wednesday, October 20, Edmonton, Edmonton Events Centre
Thursday, October 21, Calgary, University of Calgary – MacEwan Hall
Saturday, October 23, Saskatoon, Odeon Events Centre
Sunday, October 24, Winnipeg, Garrick Centre (Formerly Ramada Theatre)
Monday, October 25, Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay Community Auditorium
Wednesday, October 27, London, Music Hall
Thursday, October 28, Hamilton, Wentworth Room
Friday, October 29, Kitchener, Elements
OFFICIAL ‘OPENING ACT CONTEST’ RULES:
* Post a link to your music (MySpace, BandCamp, etc.) as a comment on the Event Page for your city on Coheed and Cambria’s Facebook Page http://bit.ly/coheedevents (see full list of direct links below)
* Direct your fans to vote for you by commenting “You have my Vote” or by “liking” your link.
* Your fans must RSVP “I’m going” to the event or their vote may not be counted.
* You must have 50 votes to qualify.
* You must live within 100 miles of the venue and cannot play more than one date.
* Coheed and Cambria will choose one band from the top 3 vote-getting bands – the band or artist chosen will be the opening act for that date. The 2 other top finalists will all get tickets to the show.
* Winning bands must provide their own transportation and gear.
* Any rules violation can lead to disqualification.
* Contest is not open to friends of the bands, venue or promoters of the event.
* Bands, singer-songwriters, even DJ’s can be considered, but Coheed and Cambria reserves the right to not have any bands on a specific date, or to pick a band not in the top 3 if necessary.
* Multiple votes, votes from other states or provinces, etc., are subject to disqualification.
Here are direct links to the Event Pages for every show:
10/10 Milwaukee, WI
10/11 Omaha, NE
10/12 Fargo, ND
The Venue At Playmakers
10/14 Billings, MT
10/15 Boise, ID
10/16 Missoula, MT
10/17 Spokane, WA
Knitting Factory Concert House
10/18 Vancouver, BC
10/20 Edmonton, AB
Edmonton Events Center
10/21 Calgary, AB
University of Calgary – MacEwan Hall
10/23 Saskatoon, SK
Odeon Events Centre
10/24 Winnipeg, MB
10/25 Thunder Bay, ON
Thunder Bay Community Auditorium
10/27 London, ON
10/28 Hamilton, ON
10/29 Kitchener, ON